The DataCite blog has migrated to a new platform, from a hosted version at Ghost to a self-hosted version using Jekyll. The main reason for this change is that it gives us more control over the formatting of blog posts. The migration was easy as both Ghost and Jekyll use markdown to format blog posts, and the blog post URLs haven't changed.
Other than some layout changes that make the blog look and feel more consistent with other DataCite sites, the other main difference that users will see is that the blog now uses formal citations and reference lists for scholarly content. A September blog post (Fenner, 2015) described the background for this, and a good example where you can see the change is the post summarizing the September persistent identifier workshop in Paris (Cruse, 2015).
Below are some tips if you also want to add formal references to your blog:
gem 'jekyll-pandoc'to the Jekyll Gemfile and the following into
pandoc: extensions: - normalize - smart - mathjax - csl: _styles/apa.csl - bibliography: bibliography/references.bib
https, and/or more flexibility with caching and domain names I recommend Amazon S3. Unless your blog sees a lot of traffic I doubt that the monthly cost is more than $2-5. One other advantage is that you don't have to deal with multiple git branches – which is how Github Pages stores the deployed website – as this can be confusing.
testgit branch to https://blog.test.datacite.org.
1.15.2release in November Pandoc supports
://in citation keys. This makes it easy to generate consistent citation keys using the
URLfield as the key, in particular when sharing references with others. One nice side effect is that we can use this key (which Pandoc puts into the
This blog post is not only the last post on this blog in 2015, but also the 25th post since we launched this blog in August, a nice little milestone at the end of the year. We wish all readers a great start into the new year.
This blog post was originally published on the DataCite Blog.
Cruse, T. (2015). Recap: Persistent identifiers in Paris. DataCite Blog. Retrieved from https://blog.datacite.org/recap
Fenner, M. (2015). Adding references to the DataCite blog. DataCite Blog. Retrieved from https://blog.datacite.org/adding-references-to-the-datacite-blog
Using Schema.org for DOI Registration
Three weeks ago we started assigning DOIs to every post on this blog (Fenner, 2016c). The process we implemented uses a new command line utility and integrates well with our the publishing workflow, with (almost)...
DataCite's New Search
Today we are announcing our first new functionality of 2019, a much improved search for DataCite DOIs and metadata. While the DataCite Search user interface has not changed, changes under the hood bring many important improvements and are our biggest...
Announcing the new Member API
When we launched the new version of the OAI-PMH service in November (Hallett (2019)), and retired Solr (used by the old OAI-PMH service) in December, we completed the transition to Elasticsearch as our search index, and the REST API as our main API....